I’m always so flattered and beyond humbled whenever this blog receives any kind of praise or recognition. With so many phenomenal writers, designers, photographers, and artists out there promoting themselves and trying to leave their mark on the world- it’s such a great feeling to know that my little blog, still spreading it’s wings in it’s first year, is appreciated and even enjoyed.
Much love, and many thanks go out to my dear friend Imogen from Imogen Rose Beauty, who nominated me for the Liebster Award. To show my gratitude, I will NOT be kicking her tea into Boston Harbor and screaming “no taxation without representation!” (it’s an inside joke.)
Here are the guidelines for this award:
1. The nominee must link back to the blogger who nominated them.
2. The nominee must state 11 facts about themselves, and then answer the 11 question provided for them by the person who nominated them.
3. They nominee must then nominate bloggers with less than 200 followers, who they think deserve the recognition, and pose 11 new questions for them to answer.
4. They must then tell the bloggers who they have nominated about the award.
I thought writing down several facts about myself back when I received the Versatile Blogger Award was hard enough, but here’s my attempt at 11 more- just in case anyone was (still) curious about me!
1. I have three vacations/adventures I’d really love to try and go on within the next three years (totaling 1 per year): driving historic Route 66 across the country to Santa Monica and back by myself, going to Ireland, and visiting Hawaii for a couple of sun-soaked weeks.
2. One of my favorite books is “A Tree Grows In Brooklyn” by Betty Smith. It was assigned as one of our options for summer reading back when I was still in my pre-teens, and I remember not being able to put it down. I was thoroughly engrossed by Francie Nolan’s story and at times, felt absolute heartache for her struggles, even though I knew the book was fiction. I’ve read it numerous times throughout the years, and although it’s been a while since I’ve picked it up- I always keep it close by in my bedroom.
3. My name was “Max” until the day I was born, and then my parents, in a last minute decision influenced by my grandmother throwing a fit that they were going to name me something so unfeminine, decided to go with the popular 1980’s name, and unquestionably boring, “Ashley”. Thanks, Gram.
4. The first movie I ever saw in theaters was “Jurassic Park” with my dad. My mom was concerned it would scare me. I came home and excitedly told her about how the T-Rex ate the lawyer while he was hiding in the bathroom stall. I recently saw the re-release in IMAX 3D, and still smirked at that scene.
5. My favorite scent is toasted coconut. Whether it be soap, or body lotions, or candles. The aroma is just heavenly and never fails to relax me.
6. I’ve always found tornadoes fascinating, and despite being caught on a highway dangerously close to one that touched down in Massachusetts a couple of years ago, I’d still like to go on one of those storm chasing tours someday and observe one (from a safe distance, of course.)
7. I don’t drink often, but when I do, I like whiskey sours (but only with Jameson whiskey).
8. The first Off-Broadway show I ever saw was Billy Connolly performing stand-up in 2007. My friend Steven brought me and his former co-worker, Scoot, during one of my first outings to NYC. I remember laughing until I had tears in my eyes.
9. I’m not very good at sports, but I can play a mean game of pool, and, my nails permitting- I’m not a bad bowler, either.
10. I have a series of freckles on the right side of my face that, if you connected them with a marker, would resemble the shape of the Big (or Little, depending on your preference) Dipper constellation.
11. My ringtone for as long as I can remember has been The Psychedelic Furs’ “Love My Way”. It’s the quintessential 80’s new wave song.
The questions Imogen asked me are:
1. If a bear and a shark had a fight, who would win?
If a bear finds itself in the ocean, far enough from the coast where it would be in a position to fight a shark in the first place, then the shark has the advantage since a bear has to keep it’s head above the water to survive. Not only that, but if we’re talking a Great White Shark, then with size, strength, and mobility alone, the shark would definitely destroy the bear.
I put way too much thought into that answer.
2. Why did you start blogging?
My blogging days began way back in my sophomore year of high school, where I’d write about the guy I had a crush on, homework assignments I didn’t want to do, PG-13 movies I was excited to go see with my friends (if our parents were willing to lend us money drive us to the theater, of course, since none of us were old enough to work or have our licenses), trips to the mall, and school drama. At first, it was just a way for me to chronicle my life and network with other people my age- like a diary that I shared with others- but after a while it sort of became my creative outlet and evolved over the course of more than a decade into what this blog is today.
3. What is one thing you do every day without fail?
There’s a lot of things I do every day without fail- shower, eat, brush my teeth, check my e-mail. I guess if I had to pick one that I remind myself to do every day, it’s to laugh- usually at myself. Work can get stressful and my weekends can get crazy, so I always make sure I laugh about something. It just sort of re-centers me so I don’t get overwhelmed and it instantly makes me feel relieved.
4. What’s your one ultimate blogging tip?
It sounds so cliché, but really- be yourself when you blog. Trying to cater to or win over an audience that doesn’t share the same interests as you is exhausting, and over time, readers will catch on that you’re not really passionate about certain things. Blog about things that YOU like and care about, because there will always be an audience who will appreciate the same things, find your writing, and enjoy it. Even if the things you like to blog about are obscure- I guarantee you there will be people out there who will be into it, too. That’s one of the great things about the internet.
Not only that, but being yourself automatically makes you stand out in a sea of blogs. Fashion blogs are a perfect example, since there are so many of them- but there can only be one you- right? Keep on keeping on with yourself.
5. Whats your favourite TV show?
It should come as no surprise that it’s “The Walking Dead”. I’m going through physical and mental anguish that I have to wait for October for season 4 to begin. I love “Breaking Bad”, “Archer”, and “White Collar”, as well- and I have a feeling once I start watching “Game of Thrones” that I’m going to be hooked like everyone else, too.
6. If somebody gave you £20/$20 what would you do with it?
That’s automatic gas money for my car right there, but if I already had a full tank, I’d probably use it over the course of a few days to buy coffee or treat myself to a movie.
7. What’s your favourite possession?
I have a few things, mostly notes, photos, and little trinkets from my dad- but I also have a softcover copy of “A Clockwork Orange” that Malcolm McDowell signed for me a few years ago when I met him. He was so personable and such a gentleman. I’m a big fan of his and it just makes me really happy to have it because it’s a reminder of a lovely experience.
8. Who is your favourite YouTuber?
THE MOST POPULAR GIRLS IN SCHOOL. Hands down! So funny and obscene. I love it.
9. Nearest thing to you?
One of my puppy’s plush sock monkey toys is laying next to me. He brought it to me a little while ago and then took off down the hallway.
10. Worst habit?
Apart from cursing and road rage (which usually go hand in hand)? I’d say twirling my hair. Ever since I was a little girl, I always absentmindedly twirled my hair, which, with it being as curly as it is- tends to result in knots and snarls by the end of the day. I just paused after writing that last sentence and realized I was twirling my hair. It’s a habit I don’t think I’ll ever break.
11. Favourite gift you ever received?
My friends are notorious for buying me the silliest, most impractical things ever for Christmases, birthdays, etc., but one year, my best buddy Sean converted an old (and terrible) horror movie we filmed when we were both 10 years old from VHS format to DVD and gave me a copy for Christmas. Watching it was like re-living the most awkward stage of our childhood, but it was incredibly funny. It took a lot of effort on his part to put it together and I’m just really touched by that.
And here are my questions:
1. Who do you consider your inspiration and why?
2. What is your dream vacation?
3. What is your most embarrassing or cringe-worthy fashion/style moment?
4. What is the last good book you read?
5. What do you like best about blogging?
6. What is one thing that always helps you relax?
7. If you could meet any person in the world, living or deceased, who would it be and why?
8. What is one thing you want to accomplish before the end of 2013?
9. What is your favorite, or most-inspirational quote?
10. What is something you could never leave home without?
11. What is your favorite song, and why?
To pay this award forward, I’ve selected Justin over at Mr. Walk & Talk, a really well put together men’s fashion blog, and Jocelyn at Beauty and Lifestyle of a Broke College Girl, who makes frugal fun.