Talk about flattering! For the third time since I started this blog, I’ve been nominated for the Liebster Award- this time the honor coming from the sensational Nikki over at Girl Behind the Glasses. Nikki’s blog is fairly new, but it’s a must-read if you love makeup and books (which I most certainly do.)
Thank you for this award, Nikki! You’re a sweetheart.
Here’s how the Liebster Award works:
1. The nominee must link back to the blogger who nominated them.
2. The nominee must state 11 facts about themselves, and then answer the 11 question provided for them by the person who nominated them.
3. They nominee must then nominate bloggers with less than 200 followers, who they think deserve the recognition, and pose 11 new questions for them to answer.
4. They must then tell the bloggers who they have nominated about the award.
The most difficult part about posts like these are coming up with 11 random facts about myself. I’ve said it before and I will absolutely say it again- but I don’t consider myself all that interesting! But regardless- here’s 11 more facts I managed to think of:
1. One of my all-time favorite TV shows (besides “The Walking Dead” and “Breaking Bad,” of course,) is “Mystery Science Theater 3000.” I have so many fond memories of watching syndicated episodes on Saturday mornings with my dad when I was a kid and laughing hysterically- even if I didn’t understand the more “adult” jokes at the time. I think my love of suffering and subsequently shredding terrible horror and Sci-Fi movies stems from watching Joel (then Mike!) Crow, and Tom Servo do it every week. I fully plan on owning every DVD box set in the immediate future so I can relive the Saturday morning antics.
2. I’d love to try my hand at making a costume and cosplaying at a comic convention soon. It just looks like so much fun (even though that SyFy’s “Heroes of Cosplay” show is pretty awful,) and I have quite a few friends who have done it and have loved it. Halloween is my favorite holiday, and comic conventions are kind of like a big Halloween party- except without terrible candy corn. Count me in!
3. I played Mary Ingalls in my 5th grade class’ production of “Little House on the Prairie.” Determined to nail my part, I had found out from my mom that Mary was blind- and proceeded to deliberately bump into everyone and everything during rehearsals until my teacher became so frustrated with me that she scrapped the blindness thing all together. The same teacher had also cast me as Europa when we had a “Greek Mythology Week” later on that year. When I started doing research and asking questions about why Zeus kidnapped Europa and brought her to Crete to “ravish” her (and what “ravish” meant,) I was told to stop reading the Greek Mythology textbook immediately.
4. The only celebrity and/or historical figure I can say I’m related to (and it’s a pretty far reach,) is John Wayne. He was my grandmother’s (on my father’s side) cousin. I never really cared much for his movies while growing up, though.
5. When I was 16, I bleached my then naturally dark brown hair to a platinum blonde- and then cut it into a bob. I was trying to look like Debbie Harry, although most people told me I resembled 1980’s Madonna (which I didn’t take as a compliment.) My hair was fried for months until I eventually dyed it back to brown, and no sooner had I done so when No Doubt’s “It’s My Life” music video debuted- and Gwen Stefani was rocking my former blonde bobbed hairstyle. Damn it, Gwen.
6. The most recent movie I’ve seen in theaters was “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” and it might very well be one of the best movies I’ve ever watched. I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s a really, really beautiful film. Ben Stiller did such an amazing job (both as an actor and as the director!)
7. Every single one of my pets from the time I was little up until now have had the middle name “Eggmus.” I have no idea why or where it came from. It was just something I started doing when I was seven and it’s stuck since then. My first cat was Zero Eggmus. The cat I adopted after him was Daphne Eggmus. My current cat’s name is Stella Eggmus and my dog’s name is Oliver Eggmus. I don’t think I’ll ever stop.
8. I’m 5’7″ tall, which makes me roughly the same height as my girlfriends when they’re wearing heels, or a giant by comparison when they aren’t. I know a lot of short people, apparently.
9. Now that I’ve seen the Rolling Stones live, the next band on my “have to see” list is Coldplay. I don’t care what anyone says- I adore them and I shamelessly sing along to their music at the top of my lungs while I’m driving. “The Scientist” still gets me emotional and “Paradise” is just way too fun to blast while I’m on my way to work.
10. My very first stuffed animal, a gift from my uncle when I was a baby, was a tabby cat I named Felix. I brought it everywhere with me all through my toddler years and up until I started Kindergarten. I still have it. It’s in my bedroom- and even though the years have taken a bit of a toll on it, and it’s a little ratty- it’s still in one piece.
11. I’ve consistently had a Marilyn Monroe calendar hanging in my room every year for the past 12-13 years. I love Marilyn (“Seven Year Itch” is the best!)- although I cringe every time someone misquotes her or incorrectly credits her with a popular phrase or saying. I just think she was beautiful, and her story was so tragic and so telling of life in Hollywood for women back then (and sometimes even now.)
The 10 questions Nikki asked me are:
1. Why did you start blogging?
Oh, I hate to sound like a broken record, because my answer is always the same. Taken from the last time I received the Liebster, since my thoughts haven’t changed at all!:
“My blogging days began way back in my sophomore year of high school, where I’d write about the guy I had a crush on, homework assignments I didn’t want to do, PG-13 movies I was excited to go see with my friends (if our parents were willing to lend us money drive us to the theater, of course, since none of us were old enough to work or have our licenses), trips to the mall, and school drama. At first, it was just a way for me to chronicle my life and network with other people my age- like a diary that I shared with others- but after a while it sort of became my creative outlet and evolved over the course of more than a decade into what this blog is today.”
2. What’s the story behind the name of your blog?
Well, I’m a redhead, which explains part of it- but I’m also a full-time paralegal and a big “Legally Blonde” fan. I was inspired by the flawlessness of Elle Woods and her ability to maintain her bubbly, sweet, pink-loving personality while still being really smart, going after what she wants, and not taking any crap from anyone who doubted her. I consider myself the redheaded Elle Woods- without the chihuahua.
3. If you could pick only one beauty product, whether you have it or not right now, to use for a whole month and nothing else, what would it be and why?
Coconut oil, because it’s a universal beauty product with a ton of uses. It’s good for removing makeup, repairing hair, softening cuticles, as an under eye serum, as a mouthwash, etc. One jar would last me longer than a month- so I’d be all set.
4. What was the last book you’ve read, be it fiction or non-fiction? What is it about and would you recommend it to others?
I just re-read Pamela Des Barres’ “Let’s Spend the Night Together.” It’s pretty scandalous, considering Pamela and her former groupie friends all spill the juicy details of some of rock n’ roll’s most legendary stars’ bedroom antics- but it’s also quite entertaining and very comical if you’re at all curious about the things that classic rock Gods used to be able to get away with.
5. What are the things you can’t live without? At least 5 but not more than 10.
1. My mom, because she’s one of my best friends. 2. My dog, because he’s my best four-legged friend. 3. My ever expanding circle of friends and acquaintances. 4. My camera, because I always have to be ready to capture a moment. 5. My cell phone, because it’s connected to everything and everyone! 6. My music collection. 7. A notebook and a pen, so I can write on the go until my hand cramps up. 8. Hair ties- because sometimes I just have to get these curls off of my face.
6. Who is your style icon? It could be anyone, a friend, your mother or someone famous.
I had been asked this question the last time I received the Liebster, and I had answered with Bettie Page- but I have so many style icons I draw inspiration from, so to give a different answer, I’m going to say Edie Sedgwick. Edie’s tragic life and even more tragic death aside, the girl knew how to dress. She made the most basic ensembles look brilliant- and her makeup was on point. I’ve tried more than once (and unsuccessfully) to re-create Edie’s bold liner look. Someday I’ll get it right. Someday…
7. What camera are you using for your pictures now and what kind do you really want to use?
I currently shoot with a Canon PowerShot SX500 IS, and I absolutely love it. I’m completely content with the quality of my photos and the features the camera has.
8. What is your current obsession? Anything under the sun!
While “The Walking Dead” is on hiatus until next month, my current TV obsession is “The Spoils of Babylon” on IFC. It’s hilarious. Also, for the past few months I have been unable to stop listening to Parov Stelar, an Austrian musician, who combines jazz/big band music with catchy and funky beats. I always end up dancing whenever I hear “Catgroove” or “Booty Swing” among a ton of others. It’s so good.
9. Are you a cat or dog lover? Or another pet perhaps?
I love animals in general. I have a cat and a dog, and even though they can both drive me nuts at times- they’re the best. I’m just going to give a wildcard answer and say that I’m a sloth person. I love sloths.
10. Tell me something random about yourself.
Oh dear. Those 11 facts above weren’t random enough? Hmm. Let me think. I’m currently wearing socks that have little martini glasses all over them! How’s that?
And here are my questions!
1. What is the most courageous thing you’ve ever done?
2. If you had to prepare a time capsule with 10 items to show future generations what your life was like- what would you pick and why?
3. What was your most embarrassing style moment? (if it makes you feel any better, mine were jeans coated in glitter, circa 2002/2003.)
4. What is your favorite inspirational/motivational quote?
5. Name five things you like about yourself (and it can be anything! I just think it’s nice to remind yourself of your good qualities.)
6. What’s your favorite TV show, be it still on the air or cancelled?
7. If you could vacation in any destination in the world, with money not being an issue- where would you go, and why?
8. Which one of your blog posts is your favorite (so far?)
9. How do you pamper yourself after a stressful day/week?
10. Who is your style icon, and why?
11. What’s one thing you want to accomplish in 2014?
I have a few new followers here at Legally Redhead, and there’s no better way to get to know them than to nominate some of them for this award!
Thank you again, Nikki!
One thought on “The Liebster Award – Take 3!”
The moment you named Edie Sedgwick, I had a feeling you were going to mention her bold eye makeup — that or being one of Andy Warhol’s stars. I’ve seen dozens of youtube tutorials inspired by her makeup but I’ve never tried it on myself.