Happy Saturday and Chinese New Year, everyone! If you didn’t know, today marks the beginning of the Year of The Rooster (specifically, the Fire Rooster)– and if that’s not another reason to get out there and have yourself a wonderful and celebratory day/night- then I don’t know what is! The Chinese Zodiac is fascinating, and if you haven’t checked out all the associations with this coming year (or even your birth year) like lucky numbers, colors, etc., then I highly recommend it. You just might learn something new about yourself!
I’ll be celebrating with friends tonight, more than likely digging into some Chinese food (as is tradition) and snapping some sparkler and Chinese lantern selfies- but before I get going on my day- I wanted to share some of my favorite odds and ends from this past January. In what has become a monthly tradition here on “Legally Redhead”, it’s my Hits List post: a re-cap of all the things I’ve been loving/using/wearing/watching/eating/etc. over the last few weeks.
I always start these posts off with the things/items I could easily photograph before I divulge other random and assorted bits and belongings that aren’t quite as easy to capture with a snapshot. January was chock-full of great stuff, so this post might be a little on the long side. Sorry in advance!
Without further delay- here’s what I adored in January 2017!
January was all about self-care- inside and out- and that included freshening up my skincare and makeup, too. I’ve been sticking to and continually using some of my long-time favorite scrubs and cleansers, but I also integrated a couple of newer products into the mix to keep my complexion looking bright and radiant during these harsher Winter months. Without a doubt, my new favorite face mask is the Elizavecca Milky Piggy Carbonated Bubble Clay Mask- which I reviewed earlier this month HERE. I use it once a week and still get the same, amazing results- and it’s just as fun to use as the first time I tried it!
At night, I’ve swapped my more oily, plant-based serum for something that will moisturize and tighten my skin without ruining my pillowcases. I’m really liking the ‘Rejuveness’ cream from POND’s lately. My mom had given me a jar of the stuff a little while back when I was in-between moisturizers and needed something to keep my skin hydrated until I could make it to Sephora- and I really liked it. Loaded with Vitamin E, collagen and AHAs- this cream is lightweight, non-greasy and doesn’t clog my pores. I wake up with softer, smoother skin every morning.
Of course, self-care also includes getting a good and undisturbed night’s sleep, too- so I’ve been utilizing this eye mask from Pier 1 Imports to shut out any light while I’m snoozing. I know there are super fancy masks available out there that help reduce puffiness around the eyes or offer cooling sensations and whatnot- but this one does a fine enough job for me. The elastic is adjustable so it’s never too tight or loose, the satin fabric is soft on my skin- and I’m a sucker for zebra print.
I picked up some new makeup in January, too- bold shades to brighten up my more neutral-toned wardrobe pieces this time of year. One of my favorite new additions to my collection is this golden/brown long-lasting liquid lipstick from Sugarpill. Accurately named “Pumpkin Spice” (with the matching scent to boot!) this color glides on effortlessly and dries to a smudge and fade-proof sparkling finish that doesn’t budge for hours. I am absolutely in love with the shade, and often pair it with my copper-colored eye shadow I’ve been wearing on the regular.
When MAC Cosmetics announced they were creating a line of makeup inspired by the Queen of Tejano- Selena- I knew I was all in. I loved Selena growing up, and wanted to get my hands on some of the collection (if not all of it!) After browsing the makeup- which was GORGEOUS– I settled on three products that I felt would better compliment my fair skin tone. There’s the purple “Selena” eye shadow- which is a spot-on match to the singer’s purple disco outfit from her last concert at the Houston Astrodome. Then there’s “Coma La Flor”, a vibrant red lipstick with a shiny finish- and “Bidi Bidi Bom Bom”- a bubblegum pink lip gloss that doesn’t feel sticky or tacky on my pout.
It’s a weird New Year’s resolution- but I’ve wanted to start wearing some of my perfume collection more often in 2017. So many friends and family have bought me gorgeous bottles of lovely fragrances- and I’ve worn them maybe once or twice before tucking them away where they have unfortunately been overlooked. One of those perfumes, which has stayed in mint condition- is a Prada fragrance (the “Amber” Eau de Parfum) my father bought me while he was away in Las Vegas a few years ago. It’s heavy with sandalwood and Patchouli- and perfect for this more frigid time of year. I forgot how much I loved it and cannot stop wearing it.
Also new this month? My weekly planner. This coral and gold colored notepad is a lifesaver and is already filled from cover to cover with my appointments, engagements, meetings, blog post schedule, vacations, trip details, etc. etc. I check this thing nearly every other day to keep track of all the important happenings and due dates in my life- and I cannot thank my mom enough for picking it up for me. It was a lovely Christmas present last month! She knows how busy I can get.
And finally- I am so, so SO excited that chokers are making a comeback. I used to wear them all the time with my friends in the 90’s and then during their brief resurgence in the early 2000’s. I have to admit that they are much prettier now than they were back then- and lately I’ve been sporting this ultra-sparkly one I picked up at H&M recently. It goes with pretty much everything and adds a nice touch of bling to even the most basic of ensembles. Here’s to recycling more trends in 2017!
That’s it for the stuff I was able to take photos of. Time to get into the random things that also made the list this month!
– MUSIC/MOVIES/TELEVISION –
- “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia…” – One of my favorite shows of all time, the latest season kicked off earlier this month and it has held no punches. It’s been brutal, offensive-and-funny, and just as hilariously over-the-top. How I needed these five awful, terrible characters back in my life to make me laugh so hard I cried again.
- Dropkick Murphys: “11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory” – I am always going to have a special place in my heart for the Dropkick Murphys. The guys are gracious, funny, and have given so much back to their communities and to the city of Boston over the years. I was thrilled when they released their ninth studio album earlier this month. It’s got the fast-paced and clever stuff I know and love, like ‘Rebels with a Cause’ and ‘Kicked to the Curb’- but there’s also a couple of slower and more somber songs, too- such as ‘Blood’ and ‘4-15-13’. My favorite so far has been the closing track, ‘Until the Next Time’- and I’m hoping to catch them live soon!
– TECH/APPS/GAMES –
- “Resident Evil 7” – Out of all the video game franchises, the ‘Resident Evil’ and ‘Silent Hill’ series are by far my favorites- even when the games get ridiculous with their plot lines and character development or when they inspire awful movies. While I don’t personally own a VR headset (yet…), some of my friends do- and we have all been waiting anxiously for the latest installment in the RE series to be released. I’ve played a bit of the demo- which was absolutely terrifying- and later on tonight my friends and I are going to attempt our very first run-through together. If you follow me on Instagram– expect our results to wind up in my feed/story!
– MISCELLANEOUS –
- My “2017 Keep Calm and Quote Movies Daily Desktop Calendar” – Another Christmas present to keep me organized, I had actually wanted to snap a photo of this tear-away daily desk calendar that I’ve been using at work- but accidentally forgot it in my office for the weekend. You can see some of the calendar HERE through Amazon- but basically every day features a different and popular movie quote, all designed similarly to the famous “Keep Calm and Carry On” posters. I’ve been having a blast reading each one every day- and some of the quotes have inspired me to re-watch some of my favorite classic movies or seek out the ones I haven’t seen yet.
And I think that’s pretty much it for this month. There were so many new and exciting things to make these first few weeks of 2017 wonderful and I can’t wait to see what I discover in February!
As always- if you have any of your own personal favorites for January 2017 to share, feel free to leave me a comment or drop me a line!