Although things have seemed downright bleak and depressing lately- be it the daily news, Christmas music being played everywhere before we’ve even finished Thanksgiving, or (in my case, anyway) the dropping temperatures and occasional snow flurries outside- tomorrow’s holiday is a reminder that even in the most trying of times: there is always something to be thankful for. It may be a difficult thing to remember or even believe now and then- but it’s true.
It goes without saying that I’m thankful for my family and my friends, or that I’m thankful for my career and for my company for taking care of me as well as they have over this past almost-year since I first started there. I’m thankful for the roof over my head, the clothes on my back and the food (specifically the pecan pie) I’m going to enjoy in the company of loved ones tomorrow. I’m thankful for my good health and the advantages/blessings I have in my life that those less fortunate than me do not have. Those things are certain. They don’t need repeating.
But I wanted to take the opportunity to give thanks to some of the other, not-so-conventional things that I’ve been thankful for in 2016:
- My Breakup: I know this one seems a little unusual, considering how much stress and heartache my split from my ex caused me earlier this year- but I truly am grateful it happened. Otherwise I would have carried on being blissfully unaware of what was going on behind my back. Now that I know the truth and I’ve mustered up the courage to walk away from him and the toxic nature of our relationship- I’ve felt less tense, more optimistic and confident about myself and my future- and proud of my resilience and strength (that I didn’t even know I had in me, to be honest.) It’s nice to have a blank page to start a new chapter with. It gives me something to look forward to.
- My Car: I’m not a materialistic person, and I know being thankful for an automobile might be a little crazy- but I truly am thankful to have a safe and reliable vehicle to get to/from work and my daily affairs. My last car- destroyed by my since-fired “mechanic”- was a danger to myself, any passengers I had in it, and other people on the road. It’s such a weight off my shoulders to know the car I’m driving runs properly and efficiently. The extra bill I have to pay each month for it isn’t enjoyable by any means- but it’s a small price to know I’m safe and can commute without issue. I’m truly grateful for my local dealership who took care of me and helped me get it on the road.
- My Special Event/Comic-Convention/Upkeep Team: I wanted to give a special shout-out to the team of women (specifically Barbara and Stephanie) who always make sure I look on-point when attending any type of special event or comic-convention. These ladies pluck, pin and pamper me so that my hair, skin and nails are always done perfectly when I have somewhere I need to be that isn’t work or the gym. They’ve made me look as superb as they can for multiple weddings, celebrations and costumed gatherings this past year- and I cannot thank them enough for it!
I also want to thank those who have helped me with crafting props and accessories for some of my costumes during the convention circuit in 2016. You are all so immensely talented and I truly admire and appreciate the work and effort you’ve put into making sure I look legitimate over these last few months. I really hope to work with some of you again in 2017.
- Opportunities From the West Coast: Although I’m still in the “carefully considering” phase of potentially leaving for the West Coast- I cannot stress enough how thankful I am for the opportunities that have been rolling in- both from Southern California and Las Vegas. The offers aren’t just for gainful employment, but for adequate housing as well- and that’s amazing. Although I still have a lot to think about before ultimately making any type of decision- I am so beyond grateful that these sorts of things are even falling into my lap right now.
- The Brands I’ve Partnered With: This blog was never intended to be lucrative by any means, and I never expected it to go that route since I always thought “Legally Redhead” was purely a hobby- but despite my hardships over this past year- brands still reached out to work with me and I am truly flattered and grateful that they did. Not only did I network with some fantastic companies who provide wonderful services and create life-changing products- but I was able to extend their reach to my readers, too. It was a win/win for so many people and the opportunities are forever appreciated.
- My Readers/Subscribers: For any and all of you who had followed “Legally Redhead”, linked to my social media, shared my content, left comments, or contacted me privately to voice your support- THANK YOU. This blog would be nothing if not for you and your continued kindness and I want you to know that I love and appreciate each and every single one of you. Your continued support is the reason I continue to write. I could not do this without you and I am truly thankful for all of you. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Again, I thank you so, so much.
I think that’s pretty much it right now. Anything or anyone who may have been accidentally omitted will surely be included in my 2016 wrap-up post at the end of December. I promise.
I hope you all have a safe and wonderful holiday tomorrow- and if you’re planning on going shopping for Black Friday- please be careful and look out for one another!