For any of you reading this who know me particularly well- you’ll know that there are three types of food I will eat no matter what because I don’t think there is any feasible way for them to be prepared incorrectly or cooked poorly: Mexican food, breakfast food- and pizza. There’s just no way pizza can be sub-par. Even the stalest or greasiest slice of pizza is still incredible. It’s (probably) science.
What’s that saying? Pizza is like sex- even when it’s bad- it’s still pretty good? Something like that.
I digress- I’ve been in the mood for some homemade pizza for a few days now, and only recently stumbled on this pizza muffin recipe that looked quite delicious, unique and ridiculously simple to make- so over this past weekend I decided to gather the ingredients and give it a go to make sure that the longstanding theory of there being no such thing as a bad pizza was still alive and well.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- 3 pounds pizza dough (store-bought or homemade)
- 1½ cups marinara sauce, plus more for serving
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Olive oil, as needed for finishing
OKAY, HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the cavities of a 12-cup muffin pan.
2. Divide the pizza dough into 12 even pieces. Use your hands and a lightly floured surface to pull each piece of dough into a ¼-inch-thick, 2-by-4-inch rectangle.
3. Working one at a time, spread 2 tablespoons marinara sauce on the surface of the dough. Sprinkle ⅛ teaspoon oregano over the surface and then sprinkle 2 tablespoons cheese on top.
4. Starting at one of the longer sides, roll the dough into a spiral. Fold the spiral in half and place it in one of the prepared muffin cups (ends facing up).
5. Repeat with the remaining dough and fillings. Brush the surface of each muffin with the olive oil and then bake until the dough is golden and the cheese is melted, 20 to 25 minutes.
6. Let the muffins cool slightly and then serve warm (or at room temperature) with a side of warm marinara sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
I’m not gonna’ lie. I ate three of these things in one sitting. Three. The equivalent to a personal pizza, I think- but they were SO good. They were warm, cheesy, crispy- and oh so satisfying. Best of all? Just like regular pizza- they taste awesome cold, too. Any muffins I couldn’t shove into my mouth were put in the fridge to munch on later.
I don’t know if these count as a breakfast food since they’re technically a muffin- but I won’t judge if anyone makes these before 10 a.m.